What’s a Side Hustle and Why You Need One You’re curious, savvy, and have big dreams. Perhaps you are in a career that you are less than thrilled about or are just looking for a way to make a few extra bucks. Maybe you just want to be in control of your own destiny. If any of this feels close to your heart, then you need a side hustle. A side hustle is a great way to ensure you are not dependent on an employer forever by allowing you to explore areas of interest or to try out what’s it like to be an entrepreneur. Side Hustles have grown significantly in the past several years as many people are looking to break away from the traditional workplace and have a more significant impact.
Resoucefulness is your most valuable skill as a side hustler. Read on for a few of my Go-To resources for exploring your Side Hustle:
- Side Hustle School – by Chris Guillebeau. It’s a website, a book, a podcast. In less than 10 minutes a day you can listen to how everyday people turned an idea or a side hustle into a second source of income or their full time gig. There are 600+ episodes surely one of which will inspire you!
- Shopify – Shopify is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms for startups and small businesses. They have an amazing blog and a training academy once you are a customer to help you every step of the way. SEO (search engine optimization), social media integration, and fraud protection on their payments. It really doesn’t get any easier. Optimal for Product based side hustles and NO Coding skill required!
- Squarespace – Squarespace is also a popular ecommerce platform, although I’d recommend this more for a Blog, creative portfolio, or consulting service. Also super easy to stand up a site in minimal time, No Coding skill required. The main difference with Shopify is that they do not have nearly the extensive list of 3rd party add-on apps for enhancing the shopping experience or for shops with a complex product catalog and need for inventory management.
- Foundr – Foundr is great resource for getting started and from learning from some of the most high profile entrepreneurs out there. See their courses page, the Start and Scale Your Online Store Course is very in depth like a mini-MBA but focused on getting your online business going!
- Logojoy – looking for a logo or design ideas to start your personal brand or side hustle? Give Logojoy a try! If you’re not quite ready with your idea yet, this is still a great site for you. Logojoy has a super fun blog to read for insights and inspiration. Checkout one of my favorite posts on the State of Side Hustles in 2018.
The key takeaway? No one is going to believe in you more than you believe in yourself. Is it going to be hard? Hell yes! But will trust in yourself, and an amazing set of resources you will be well positioned for success!
Know of one not captured here? Drop me a line so it can be added!