The word side hustle has become trendy in the past few years, part gig-economy, part a need for multiple streams of income, or a need to supplement your career with something you’re passionate about.
The traditional career path and job markets continue to change at a rapid pace. Even more, the pace of technological advancement is faster than ever before so the idea of five years in the same job is becoming less and less common.
I know how important having a steady job is, and you may be totally dependent on the job you have. After all, it pays the bills and supports your family.
So how do you think about whether a side hustle is a good idea and whether it’s right for you? The good news is that there are many amazing resources out there to help you get started. I’m not talking about the get rich quick ads you see all over the Internet, or being a ride-share driver I’m talking about legitimate down to earth people willing to share their experiences.
Factors for Success
But before I get to the resources, here are a few key factors to influence your decision.
- Passion: whatever endeavor you pick to start, ensure it’s something you absolutely love! If you are going to be spending your free time building something up, you’ve got to be in love with it.
- Strengths: be sure that your side hustle leverages your strengths or something you are really good at. This is the easiest way to demonstrate value to someone you hope will be willing to pay you. Don’t confuse this with needing to know everything there is to know about running a business. This is where the resources come in!
- Demand: The last and most important is ensuring that there is a market for what you want to sell or build a side hustle around. Competition isn’t a bad thing, it proves people are willing to pay for something. You just need to highlight how it is that what you do is different or unique.
With That – Here are My top resources for your Side Hustle Journey
- Side Hustle School – by Chris Guillebeau. It’s a website, a book, a podcast. In less than 10 minutes a day, you will hear inspirational stories of how everyday people turned an idea or a side hustle into a second source of income or their full-time gig. There are 600+ episodes surely one of which will inspire you!
- Marie Forleo – Marie TV, Marie Forleo podcast. Marie is one of the most inspirational women I’ve ever listened to and has been queened a thought leader of our time by Oprah. Side hustle or not, she is sure to help you find clarity in your life goals.
- Foundr – Foundr is a great resource for getting started and from learning from some of the most high-profile entrepreneurs out there. See their courses page, the Start and Scale Your Online Store Course is very in-depth like a mini-MBA focused on all of the tactical elements of your online business going!
These resources are just the tip of the iceberg! Have I convinced you to consider how you can explore your passions and share them with the world? For even more ideas and a whole host of specific tools to help bring your ideas to life, see the Side Hustle Page!